Pages

12.16.2013

Whirlwind trips: Cool California

First, I want to apologize to my NUMEROUS readers for not having posted for over 3 weeks. I have been travelling a lot lately and just had enough time to do what needed to be done.

That said, that doesn't mean I did not have a good time. As a Canadian girl, any temperature over 0 degrees Celsius, or 32 Fahrenheit, feels like a warm summer breeze. So even though I was hoping for a little sunbathing when I went to L.A. in late November and San Diego in early December, seeing the beach and sunshine, even at 15/60 degrees, it felt just like a the end of summer to me!


Santa Monica, on a cloudy/windy day.


James says there is something depressing about an empty, cold beach. I disagree, I think it still looks great and it even has more calming properties... Which really makes me forget about all my worries.


I don't want to complain, I've got a lot of folks living the blizzard in Canada. but James and I seem to have recurring bad luck when we travel with weather, especially on very short trips. When we decided to leave the beach because we were freezing, it finally cleared up :).


And while we were stuck in the "freeway parking lot", we witnessed a wonderful sunset.
I haven't seen a lot of L.A. but to me, it is a city of extremes where ugly/beautiful and calm/crazy exist side by side. I don't know if it is for me but it's a great place to visit. Plus, I noticed that everywhere I went, the ceilings were incredible. Hidden within modern skyscrapers, you could always find a beautiful baroque-inspired ceiling.





Balboa Park, San Diego.


Japanese frienship Gardens in Balboa Park.


I could have wandered for hours in these gardens (and I did, and I didn't even get to see the zoo), but I had to meet up with James since we wanted to see Mission Beach before the sunset and we were leaving the next day.


And what a beach! Again, the temperatures were a little on the cold side, but you could still feel that super-cool surfer vibe (and even watch surfers practicing from up close!). That's how awesome San Diego is.



This is by far my favorite beach so far (in California). I know there are many more but nothing could beat that sunset. 




The next morning, we hit La Jolla for a quick breakfast at Brockton Villa-They have A-MAZING french toast (or must I say, french soufflé!). It's worth enduring the strong smell of bird feces for a little while (and I'm not kidding...it's a real problem they have.


Stay classy San Diego (and hopefully I will be coming back-for good this time!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day ;)